Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fiona Apple Sings Cy Coleman

Okay. I'll be honest. I've been busy. Too busy to write, but not too busy to keep my ear to the ground for the latest and greatest.

Remember Fiona Apple? She's been off the scene a bit since the release of 2005's Extraordinary Machine, and really who could blame her with all the drama behind that release including more than a few release-date changes, two producers and an entire re-recording ? Not me. I don't blame you, Fiona. Plus Extraordinary gave us plenty to enjoy in the meanwhile. I still get goosebumps when I hear that title track. [Insert affectionate noise here.]

And now our dear Fiona is back with "Why Try to Change Me Now", a jazzy standard from famed composer/pianist Cy Coleman, covered for his tribute EP, Then Was Then, And Now Is Now. Man I love that title. It's beautifully unconventional, much like we've come to know Ms. Apple herself. The songs lyrics are also curiously relevant to the artist's personality. A nice pairing indeed. See if you don't agree.



Then Was Then, And Now Is Now EP also features performances by Patty Griffin, Nikka Costa, Julianna Raye, Ambrosia Parsley, and more. I hope it's available on iTunes soon!

No comments: