Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vampire Weekend Debuts New Song on Jimmy Fallon

I am so over this bands' schtick. When they first came out I was really confused.  The popped collar... the rich boy signing about rich boy stuff. Maybe it's because I'm a westie but I didn't get it. I had a slight change of heart, however, when mainstream radio embraced them. I thought, "This is progress for radio," and figured I'd lend my support to these Brooklyn prepsters. I mean, Vampire Weekend was about a million times better than the other crap radio was constantly playing. Also, "A-Punk" is kind of an amazing song.

So me and the VW, we were good. That is until they went and played on Jimmy Fallon last night and crushed all my dreams!! They played "White Sky", a brand new song from their next full length due out in the fall. Intriguing, right?  First of all, there were the popped collars. Is there a stylist in the house?! Second, I'm sorry but if I wanted to listen to Peter Gabriel, I'd listen to Peter Gabriel. (Didn't I say this about the last record?)  And don't even get me going on Ezra. If watching him go into his falsetto wearing a fleece and white tennis shoes doesn't make you cringe, I don't know what will. Seriously, I'm in pain over here.

Vampire Weekend - White Sky (live on Jimmy Fallon)

4 comments:

Koley said...

i'm gonna go ahead and agree with you 100% on this one. the look the lead singer makes during practically the entire song is very reminiscent of this video of a russian singer with a ridiculous singing range. haha. Check this out.

Jocelyn Aucoin said...

LOL! Stop it, oh my goodness that is way too funny. I think Ezra is definitely taking cues from that guy!!

Anonymous said...

amen sister. i've tried listening to this band 4-5 times, and i can't make it through half their album.

why do some bands/artists get annihilated for letting their influences shine through a little, but these guys get praised for sounding like lost Paul Simon recordings?! it irks me bigtime.

~e

Jocelyn Aucoin said...

e, so true! really irritating!! i'll never understand it all....