Friday, March 20, 2009

The Other Karen

Fever Ray is Karin Dreijer Andersson, one half of the sweedish pop duo, The Knife. If you're not familiar with The Knife, let's just say their last album, Silent Shout, was named Album of the Year in 2006 by a particular website which I have been known to both love and hate.

Where do you go after an accolade like that? You take time off, have a baby or two and start a solo project, naturally. Like The Knife, Karen's music is still constructed on electronic foundations, but Fever Ray is entirely more moody, more creepy. Creepy in the good way. Like Bjork or Aphex Twin. The Tripwire reports that Karen likes to make music that allows her to be somebody else. (I'm paraphrasing, of course.) This definitely comes through in her music. Regarding her writing process, Karen says:

"A lot of it is like daydreaming, dreaming when you’re awake, but tired; a lot of stories come from that world. I try to write when I‘m in that state - I’m very bad at remembering later, so I have to do it right away.”

Fever Ray - When I Grow Up

No comments: