Thursday, March 5, 2009

Interpol Guy Goes Filmmaker


I hate it when models want to be singers and singers want to be actors and actors want to be politicians. It's like, stick to one discipline and save the rest of the jobs for the rest of the starving artists out there. But that being said, of course I'm intrigued when this crossover happens. It's along the same lines as rubbernecking on the freeway to see an accident. It's the sickness inside us that wants to see struggle.. or something. And unless your name is Will Smith or Miranda July (love her), most artists should stick to their day job. If you're a famous musician, stick to music. Famous actor, stick to acting. Take Ms. Zooey Deschanel for instance. I heart her to death, she is my total celeb girl crush. But She & Him really didn't do it for me. Like, at all.

So of course my ears perk up when I hear that Carlos Dengler, bassist of infamous NYC-based rock band Interpol, has tried his hand at filmmaking. Oh boy, here we go... A skeptic at heart about these things, I'm glad it's at least a short. It's called MY FRIENDS TOLD ME ABOUT YOU, and it targets the idea of celebrity as affliction. Wait. Did you just chuckle under you breath like I did?

Dengler writes:
"Making MY FRIENDS TOLD ME ABOUT YOU was a chance to explore the narrative potential of sound and spectacle. The idea was to achieve the expression of film as a composition, a tone poem of carefully selected cinematic effects and gestures."

Yeah, we'll see. Sorry, my cinicism is getting the best of me this morning. At least Dengler composed the original score for the film (in collabs with acclaimed English clarinetist, Ian Mitchell). This might be it's saving grace, but you check out the trailer and decide for yourself.

No comments: