Monday, March 16, 2009

Cursive Sings From the Hips?

I need a hug. I'm not at SXSW and it makes me sad. I've been in this biz too many years to not have ever gone before. Really it's wrong. You know what else is wrong? Last year I had just started working a temporary day gig the week after SXSW. One of the girls who's desk was across from mine had just gotten back from Austin and was talking about how fun it was. I was such a bitter Betty! And here I am a year later.. feeling all bitter Betty again! Next year I'm there come hell or high water. Who will hold me to it?

Sigh. Okay! Now that I got that out of my system, let's talk Cursive. I usually don't have favorites, but I can easily pick out my favorite track from Cursive's new album, Mama I'm Swollen.  That track is "From The Hips", and it is decidedly the poppiest song on the record.  Come to find out it's the lead single as well, and as lead singles go, it's pretty darn misleading because the rest of the record isn't poppy in the least bit.  But that's another story for another time.  Maybe I'll write a review on this one to fully address the discrepancy.  For now check the single.  It's quite nice.  Mama I'm Swollen is out now on Saddle Creek (where else?).

Cursive - From The Hips

No comments: