Monday, March 23, 2009

Beirut's Been Around the Block

God bless WOXY. I hear so much new music on that station that I've never heard before. Today I heard a song called "Venice" by a band called Beirut. I immediately started researching and came up pretty empty. I did unearth a bio and, though confusing, what I gather from it is that Beirut is the brainchild of a character by the name of Zach Condon. Condon looks to be a prolific songwriter, young, and well-traveled. His travels have had a profound influence on the music you hear and perhaps that's why "Venice" caught my attention--it doesn't sound like the same old crap. It sounds like it's from another world.

The new EP, March of the Zapotec & Realpeople - Holland, is said to contain music from Condon’s recent trip to Oaxaca, Mexico. Amigos, I give you "La Llorona" the single featuring backing music from 19-piece Mexican group, The Jimenez Band. March of the Zapotec & Realpeople - Holland is available on iTunes from Ba Da Bing Records.

3 comments:

brandon said...

I loves the Beirut!! How did I not send you THIS already??

http://www.youtube.com/user/flyingclubcup

Enjoy! :)

Jocelyn Aucoin said...

you're behind on being my finger on the pulse of music! ;) that video is radd!

brandon said...

Me sorry! My personal fave is Forks and Knives.. Ping Pong!!